About Me

My photo
It's important to do at least one thing toward your goal each day.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Asleep For 30 Years


I have one of those legendary stories car lovers find fascinating. The one where a rare and desirable collector is stowed in a barn for 30 years, unmolested, then brought back to life.

My folks, Jack and Bonnie Justice lived on the farm for about 20 years. When Jack passed away Bonnie decided to move to California to be with friends. In 1979, she packed up what she wanted and left the rest for caretakers. She put her 1965 Chevy Malibu SS up for sale. "I only wanted $2,000 for and it had new tires," says the spry lady of 85. "If no one will buy it for that, I said I'll just leave it in the barn."

Remarkably, the red coupe with the white upholstery sat all these years without being picked apart and relieved of its trim or mechanical items. I have always liked the 356 Porsche and had little regard for the Chevy and all its muscle, so I didn't do anything with it.

I moved to the farm 5 years ago and have been taking a fresh look at that Malibu, trying to figure out why so many find it so wonderful. It's coming to me.

Last week -- after changing fluids, spark plugs and distributor parts -- four friends from the Vernonia Speed and Beauty Car Club came to my garage and we started the 327 motor and it purrs.

In subsequent Kid Justice Blogs I will cover the process of restoring "Mom's little red racer" to road worthiness.

1 comment:

  1. Nice looking car, Kid J. When you finish, I've got an Olds Cutlass for you to restore.

    MPH

    ReplyDelete

Followers